Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Neuromancer Ending

The ending of Neuromancer leaves the reader, in my opinion, a bit more puzzled than anything else. We find ourselves wondering why so many things ended the way they did, although we do also find some answers. A few, in particular, stuck out as I read.

We learn that Molly leaves Case at the end of the novel, but there is no real reason why. Sure, we can speculate as to why Gibson did this, but there isn’t a true answer. It is a bit frustrating that this happens, as the two spend so much time together throughout the novel. I know I found myself “rooting” for the two of them to stay together. Another question I asked myself towards the end was, “exactly why are Molly and Case still working for this evil force even though it is clear he has no good intentions?” Wintermute is clearly evil; he kills people, even children, and for most of the novel, we have no idea why.

We finally do find out Wintermute’s ultimate goal: to combine with Neuromancer. It is still hard for me to understand, though, why they continued to work with him. Reading further, we also learn that Wintermute becomes the Matrix. Not only that, but we are able to conclude who is responsible for Linda Lee haunting Case. It is Neuromancer’s doing that that happens, and he is the one who kills Linda Lee at the beginning of the novel.

The novel ends similar to how it began, with a feeling of hopelessness. The reader is left with the idea that the best they can do in this scary world being overtaken by technology is survive. Just like Case and Molly, you do what you have to do to get by and move on to the future. That future will not necessarily be one filled with hope either. It left me kind of sad, and as I said before, pretty puzzled.

No comments:

Post a Comment